Program Details | June 28 - July 10 & July 12 - July 24, 2020
Who should attend?
The Pre-College Summer Focus Program is designed to give you a taste of the undergraduate experience. Students will investigate a subject that excites them or discover a new one. Residential only.
- Designed for young women entering their sophomore, junior or senior year of high school
- Open to domestic and international students (Visa support not provided for international students)
- Recommended for students who seek a non-credit yet intellectually stimulating summer experience
- Attend one or two sessions
What will we do?
A Sample Day
We're often asked what a day in the life of a pre-college student looks like. There are so many exciting things that happen it is hard to cram all the details onto one page. The main take-away? It's a lot of fun and there are people here to guide you every step of the way. Below is an outline of how your day will be structured.
☕ 8:00 AM - Breakfast
📚 9:30 AM - Courses Meet
🍽️ 12:30 PM - Lunch
📚 2:00 PM - Courses Meet
🏓 4:00 PM - Studying/Social Activities
🍕 6:00 PM - Dinner
💻 7:00 PM - Free Time/Evening Activities
🕰️ 10:00 PM - Residence Hall Check-in
Courses will meet from 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM and 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM Monday - Thursday. Students can only take one course per session. In your chosen course, you'll attend lectures alongside a small group of motivated young women, gaining exposure to a specific area of academic interest. See a list of the Summer Focus 2020 courses here.
Students are expected to attend all course sessions. Students who are dismissed or leave the program early will not receive a certificate of completion.
Social Activities & Excursions
Students are expected to attend scheduled weekend group excursions. Excursions are designed to help participants explore the city of Boston, get to know other students, and build a strong community -- just like in college. All planned activity fees are covered in the cost of the program.
Weekend excursions may include:
- Boston Duck Boat Tours
- Faneuil Hall
- Louisa May Alcott House
- Prudential Center
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Escape the Room
- Harvard & MIT
- Freedom Trail
- Plymouth Rock
Besides weekend trips, students are also encouraged to engage in regular group social activities on-campus and in the dorms.
Past on-campus activities:
- Water Olympics
- Yard Games
- Paint Night
- Glow-in-the-dark party
- Observatory Visit
- Scavenger Hunt
- Kayaking and Canoeing
- Game Night
- Movies Night at the Davis Museum
Students will have free time while on campus where they are encouraged to explore all that Wellesley has to offer. Students of Pre-College programs can stay on campus, or walk to the Wellesley Village fondly known as "The Vil." However, they are prohibited from going beyond The Vil outside program-planned outings. Some potential free time activities include taking a stroll along Lake Waban, visiting the on-campus Davis Museum, yoga on the lawn, working out in the Fitness Center, or spending time in the Lulu Chow Wang Campus Center.
- Meals will be available for the students in the residence hall. More details about housing and dining can be found here.
- WiFi access is available to students across the entire campus.
- Margaret Clapp Library, which contains over a million volumes, will be open during the day for students to read, relax, and explore.
- The Lulu Chow Wang Campus Center includes facilities such as a convenience store (The Emporium), a coffee bar, a bookstore, and an ATM, all open throughout the summer.
- Students will also have access to the Nehoiden Golf Course and Keohane Sports Center which offers gym facilities, pool, dance studios, multipurpose gymnasiums, as well as sporting equipment for check-out.
- Laundry facilities are located in the residence hall.
When do I need to be there?
Students will be able to move in from 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM on their respective program start date. If necessary, early move-ins may be accommodated up to 24 hours prior. However, early move-ins will be charged an additional fee. Students will need to move out no later than 12:00 PM on their respective end dates.